These are some silly things I do when I’m sad and need a distraction.
- Make popcorn, and try to catch it on your tongue. Bonus points if you hit yourself in the eye.
- Turn on your favorite CD. For every song, draw a picture. When the song goes off and a new one starts, start a new picture.
- Open minecraft, creative mode. Dig straight down, then lay TNT all the way back up. Set it off. Go witness the caves you just opened up.
- Pet a dog. If you don’t have a dog, pet a cat. If the cat refuses, wrap him in a blanket and hug him. If you don’t have either one of these, hug your favorite stuffed animal and give it a kiss.
- Write a complimentary letter to a stranger and put it in your library book when you return it.
- Make a video log. Talk about everything you remember from the last month.
- Draw a picture of your dream home.
- Turn the lights out, put your headphones on. Click here.
- Make ridiculous faces, make a photo collage. Challenge a friend to mimic your faces.
- Read your favorite book.
- Take 1 packet of hot cocoa, mix with warm milk. Mix roughly half a table spoon of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Collect fortune cookie fortunes, tape them to a binder.
- Send 5 random followers a message.
- Write a message to your favorite celebrity. Send it, or don’t.
- Put marshmallows on a microwaveable plate, and stick them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Watch them through the glass.
Feel free to add things. Pass the list around. You never know who might need it.
Take a walk in the woods, by the sea, somewhere where there are trees.
Watch birds. get a field guide. Identify the birds. Figure out if you’re better than Legolas at telling a sparrow from a finch a league away (clue: sparrows are finches and some finches are sparrows).
Volunteer somewhere. Preferably with furry things you can hug.
Find a local park. Find a nature center. Cure your nature Deficit Disorder.
Get a sketchbook, go out in the woods and draw something. it matters not if you think you can draw.
Write some random poetry/thots/ramblings/drreams in your sketchbook. no one cares if you think you can’t write, just do it.
Avoid the mall, it’ll only reinforce the Mainstream’s attitude that it’s all about the (%^&*^%*&^%!!!) labels.
Rent a kayak, go out on a lake (wear your PFD).
Hook your Shi-Tzu to your bike/skateboard/scooter and do some urban mushing. Dogs love to run.
Don’t try it with a cat.
Unless it’s a cheetah.
Then you have turbo.
Skip the amusement park and find someone who’ll let you ride a horse.
Skip the mall and find a tall ship to sail on (around here, it’s between 25-65 bucks for two hours of interactive pirate adventure).
Sit under a tree and read your favorite book. Just like Frodo.
Do a photo shoot at dusk in front of a blue porta-potti… it looks just like a tardis when it’s a bit out of focus…
Cosplay with friends in a cool location.
volunteer at the local animal shelter, walk some dogs, socialize some cats, squeeze a guinea pig, but not too hard.
See if a local park or wildlife rehabber needs help. (Call a local state or county park for info)(or google it).
Go to a museum, they’re usually free.
Find a group of spiritually like minded people. Or just find some and see what they think (you don’t have to agree).
Go to a farmer’s market. Buy some colorful veggies. Pick your own. Plant something. Even in a pot.
Do yoga, tai chi. There are classes everywhere, and lots of videos on youtube if you can’t afford a class.
Feel the sun.
Dance under the moon.
If you think you are truly Depressed, see a counselor. Research DBT and cognitive behavior therapy online (zenlike ways to outthink your sadness). But sometimes, it only takes participating in Life.